These are the places that you should visit during your stay in Częstochowa – our most prized and appealing attractions. You will find something to do here whether you are into deep religious experiences, history, art, or recreation.
Jasna Góra is one of the main destinations for pilgrims in the contemporary Christian world. The Pauline Fathers were summoned to Jasna Góra in 1382 by Prince Ladislaus of Oppeln. The miraculous painting of the Virgin Mary owned by the monastery has been drawing great numbers of pilgrims since 15th century, initially from other regions of Poland and later also from other European countries and from the rest of the world. The coronation of miraculous image of Virgin Mary with papal crowns in 1717 ultimately established the exceptional position of Jasna Góra among the world's most important sanctuaries. Plenty of pilgrimage trails lead to Częstochowa, crossing the whole country, spanning from a couple to several hundred kilometers in length.
An exhibition of Jerzy Kędziora's balancing statues featured on the Old Market is the biggest outdoor exhibition of this artist works in the world. A total of 14 balancing statues create an aerial spectacle, seemingly defying gravity. Statues present various skills and features characteristic to their professions, creating a mimic theatre with ludic undertones of festivities and market fair. Częstoch, a figure that is part history and part myth of founding of Częstochowa, is featured in the center of exhibition, accentuating 800th anniversary of first mention of our City in written annals.
"Lisiniec" Recreational Park features more than 40ha of green areas in the western part of Częstochowa. There are 3 water reservoirs named after seas and oceans (Baltic, Adriatic, Pacific), recreational paths (approx. 2,5km), rental services of water equipment (pedalos, kayaks, SUP boards), skate park, two tennis courts with social and catering facilities, and a rope park.
It also features a beach with sand brought from Polish seaside, water bridges connecting reservoirs, bike and walking trails, and an observatory pavilion with restaurant. There are also more than 100 recently planted Japanese cherry blossom trees (Kikushidare-Zakura) in the park.
Full offer of Częstochowa Aquapark will be presented when the object will be open. Due to SARS CoV-2 pandemic all objects of this type are temporarily closed.
Jerzy Duda Gracz's Way of the Cross contains references to tragic history of Poland – i.e. "Crucifixion" station shows victims of unsuccesful Polish uprisings as well as victims of World War II and communist regime as silent spectators of crucifixion, each of them with their own cross held high. The paintings have been placed in the third part of the Chapel of Our Lady, in the so-called "upper place" (entrance through the Knights' Hall).
The painter said about his works:
"I do care that Golgotha of Jasna Góra is not only a picture story from 2000 years ago, and being in a good frame of mind (it was not us who crucified) we celebrate It on Good Friday…
The Golgotha is today, now and here, in Catholic Poland "
Holy Virgin Mary avenue is the main artery of Częstochowa, designed by Jan Bernhard and built in 1818. It connected two distinct urban environments, Old Częstochowa and New Częstochowa, and led from St Sigismund's church to the parks below Jasna Góra monastery. During second half of XIXth century it is along this avenue that representative buildings and burgher tenements were built, richly adorned with balconies and oriel windows. In the middle of the avenue, at St Jacob's square (modern Biegański's square), a town hall was erected.
City Art Gallery holds paintings and drawings of Zdzisław Beksiński, an extraordinary and world famous artist of modern Polish art. Exhibition presents second tranche of Beksiński's works, transferred to museum by their owners – private art collectors from Paris.
Unveiled in 2014, the "Tower of Babel" mural was created by Tomasz Sętowski and a team of graffiti artists called "Dreamers". It features surreal imagery, based on biblical and mythological motifs, painted on a building wall that is almost 300m².
Situated in a modern pavillon in Raków district, this archaelogical reserve is the only one in the world that presents cemetery artifacts of Lusatian culture (750-550 BC) still remaining at the spot where they were uncovered. Excavated 85 burial sites hold ceramic pots, tools, jewelry and weapons in a permanent exhibition named "From the Darkness of History".
Good Art Gallery is situated in a building erected in 1875 as headquarters of orthodox clergy. The building itself has a tumultous history – it served as military headquarters before the war, police precinct during German occupation and District Military Staff headquarters under communist rule, until it was handed over to Częstochowa Museum in 1973. Since 2013 it holds a permanent exhibition titled "Polish Art of XIX and XXth Century" as well as various temporary exhibitions.